Updated: Jul 22, 2021
Why is every midwife and doula talking about dates? Dates are full of important nutrients and fats, which are helpful during pregnancy, and in labor. Dates are naturally sweet, which makes them a more health conscious choice when sugar cravings hit. They can help with pregnancy complaints such as constipation, restless legs, high blood pressure, and some headaches. Dates are even said to reduce pushing time and risk of tearing. Eating a handful of 6 dates a day can feel a bit tedious, though. To help we have found some fantastic recipes to help you easily incorporate these little powerhouses into your daily routine. Click on the photos below to go to the recipes.
Date Energy Balls:
- 1 cup dates (preferably Medjool)
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder Steps:
- If you did not buy pitted dates, carefully remove all pits
- Add all ingredients to your blender. You may need to scrape down the sides, or add a bit of water to blend well.
- When blended to desired consistency wet hands and roll into balls. Once set you can store in an airtight container.